Aviyal – South Indian Recipe
Aviyal is a south Indian preparation. It is mix of veggies cooked in a thick sauce of curd, ground coconut and spices, seasoned with curry leaves tempered in coconut oil.
The preparation finds its origin in Indian folklore, where it is said to have been prepared for the first time by Bhima, one among the Pandavas, while the brothers were in exile. Although there are many mythological variations to the preparation, you may go ahead and discover the preparation we have for you.
Prakrti Products – Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Aviyal Recipe – Ingredients Required
- 1 cup curd, thoroughly whisked
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt as required
- 1 cup of white pumpkin, chopped into cubes
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup plantain, chopped into cubes
- 1 medium potato, peeled chopped
- Chow chow, I cup chopped
- 1 medium sized brinjal, chopped
- 1 Drumstick, cut into pieces
- 2 Colocasia
- 1/2 cup of chopped yam
- 8-10 cluster beans
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 4 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon rice flour
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
Procedure of Preparation
- Thoroughly wash the vegetables, and cut them into convenient pieces.
- Make sure that the pieces are a little big, so that they are not overcooked.
- Cook the white pumpkin, in a little water and salt. Ensure it is cooked.
- Cook the plantain separate in water.
- Pressure cook the colocasia.
- Grind the mentioned ingredients into a smooth paste
- Pressure cook the remaining veggies with water, turmeric and salt.
- Strain the excess water from the veggies.
- Whisk together the curd and ground mix.
- Add the curd and ground mix to the vegetables.
- Cook the Avial for about 5 minute.
- Heat in a frying pan coconut oil. Saute curry leaves and pour over the avial.
- Serve with an accompaniment of choice.
Prakrti Blog – Tips and Recipe