Bagara Baigan - Fried Aubergine
Fried Aubergines, or bagara baigan as the preparation is known as in Hyderabad, India - The place of its origin. It is a popular dish served with flavored rice or biriyani. Small variety eggplants are deep fried and served in an extremely rich sauce. The recipe, also popular in Pakistan finds its origin during the Mughal period.
Read ahead for the complete recipe.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India. Don’t forget to leave us a review.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep
Fried Aubergine - Recipe
- 8 to 10 small variety aubergine
- Enough oil for deep frying the aubergine plus more
- 1 medium sized onion fine sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon grated garlic
- 50 grams of dry coconut powder
- 1 tablespoon light roasted coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh green coriander for garnish
Procedure of Preparation
- Slit the aubergine along the center and deep fry them over a high flame till glossy and tender. Drain the excess oil and keep the aubergines aside.
- In a blender grind together coconut powder and roasted coconut together. Use a drizzle of water if it is needed to make a fine paste.
- Heat about 50ml of oil in a saucepan. Saute together onions, ginger and garlic. Make sure that onions are tender.
- Add curry leaves, followed by the ground mix. Saute until the oil separates.
- Add turmeric, salt and tamarind paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the aubergines and mix them in the rich sauce gently.
- Garnish with fresh green coriander.
- Serve hot with an accompaniment of choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe