Baklava Recipe - Greek Dessert
The Christmas season is in full swing and it would be outright blasphemy for a food blog to not go on a featured run. Thus we have for you the recipe for Baklava, a common presence on the Christmas dinner table in Greece.
Baklava is a layered pastry preparation containing sumptuous stuffing and topped with a delightful, drippy sauce. It may pass as a popular Christmas preparation in Greece. Yet baklava traces its origin to the countries of the former Ottoman empire, the entire Middle East and Caucasus.
Filo is this extremely thin unleavened dough which is used to prepare pastries like baklava typical to the region.
Read ahead to discover for yourself the recipe for this exotic preparation.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
- 250 grams salt-free butter, melted
- 500 grams walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Filo pastry leaves
- 200 gram caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 8-10 tablespoon organic honey
- Lemon peel
Procedure of Preparation
- Preheat the oven at 180 centigrade.
- Grease a large baking dish with butter. Sprinkle the tray with walnuts and cinnamon.
- Roll out the filo pastry. Gently place 2 sheets on the baking dish, brushing the top layer with butter.
- Generously top with chopped walnut, butter and ground cinnamon. Cover with another 2 sheets of filo pastry.
- Repeat the process till you have stacked up to 8 sheets.
- Use a sharp knife. Cut into the preparation in convenient shapes all the way to the baking dish.
- Bake for about an hour, or until the baklava attains a rich golden color and crispy texture.
- Prepare the sauce while the baklava is getting baked.
- In a medium pot bring the water to a boil. Add sugar and simmer over a medium flame until it is completely dissolved. Pour in the honey and mix will. Add lemon peel and cook the sauce over a low flame for the next 20 minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and let it cool down. Once cooled, remove the lemon peel from the sauce.
- Once the baklava is completely baked, remove baking dish from oven and gently pour sauce over it. Let the preparation cool down in open air to prevent sogginess.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe