Romaine lettuce, croutons and dressing topped with Parmesan cheese. These are the principal ingredients that constitute lip smacking serving of Caesar salad.
Caesar Cardini, an immigrant Italian running restaurants in Mexico and US is credited with the invention of the original Caesar salad recipe.
Conserved anchovy is a common ingredient in the salad dressing. This salt water fish was not part of the original recipe assembled by Cardini, and was integrated into the preparation at a later date.
Read ahead and discover for yourself the comprehensive recipe for the preparation.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Caesar Salad - Recipe
- 200 grams of anchovy fillets conserved in oil
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- Yolk from 2 eggs
- Juice from 1 whole lemon
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup tablespoon grated Parmesan
- Fresh ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- Croutons - 2 cups country bread with crust cut into 1” squares
- 3 separate of romaine lettuce
Procedure of Preparation
- The salad dressing is an elementary part of the whole preparation. You could make it a day ahead and keep in the refrigerator.
- Chop the fillets of anchovy. The original recipe however did not have anchovy in it. Add to the fish minced garlic, a pinch of kosher salt. Use a blunt object to mash into a fine paste. Transfer into a bowl and keep aside.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk thoroughly. Add to it lemon juice and mustard. Add a few drops of olive oil and whisk. Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil very slowly and keep whisking. Add the vegetable oil in the same manner, with constant whisking in order to prevent the dressing from separating.
- Whisk in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and keep aside.
- The next step involves the croutons. Cut the crusted bread into 1” squares. Toss the bread 3-4 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Preheat over at 200 degrees and bake the bread for about 10 minutes.
- Use who lettuce leaves, as was used in the original recipe.
- Gently mix the lettuce, croutons and dressing together. Top with grated Parmesan.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe