The term do-piaza translates from Persian as two onions. The preparation finds its roots in the cuisine of Afghanistan and has a predominant presence in Indian preparations across the world. The gravy is prepared in a rich assortment of spices and other necessary ingredients. The onions are chopped in two different forms and added into the preparation in two separate stages, thus giving the dish its name.
As legends have it, the dish came into existence as a result of a serendipity, when a chef of an Afghan emperor added excessive onions into a meat preparation. The preparation further evolved through the ages at hot-spots of Mughal cuisine in India and Pakistan.
Read on ahead for the complete recipe as it stands today.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Chicken Do-Pyaza - Recipe
- 1 kilogram chicken cut in medium pieces
- 2 large onions
- 6-8 cloves of garlic cloves peeled and fine crushed
- 1 inch garlic knob peeled and fine crushed
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste for marination
- 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon clarified butter
- 2 plump tomatoes, fine chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fine ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fine ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fine ground cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoon fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon kasoori methi
- 1 tablespoon green chillies fine chopped
- Salt to taste
Fresh ground Garam Masala
- 4-6 whole green cardamom
- 2 aril of mace
- 6-8 whole cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 whole black cardamom
Procedure of Preparation
- Prepare the garam masala by fine grinding the whole spices in a heavy duty grinder.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder and salt. Keep in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Fine chop one onion, chop the second one into large cubes. This is the signature procedure of the preparation.
- Heat the clarified butter in a deep frying pan. Add the crushed ginger and garlic. Saute for halfa minute.
- Add the fine chopped onions and cook over a medium flame until it turns a rich golden brown. Further add tomatoes and salt.
- Whisk the yogurt with the turmeric and red chilli powder. Add the yogurt mix to the preparation. Add the ground coriander and cumin, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken followed by the large cut onions.
- Mix well and cook over a medium flame, with constant stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and cover the vessel with a lid. Cook over a medium flame for the next 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh cream, chopped coriander and mint.
- Serve with accompaniment of choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe