Chicken Empanadas - Latin American Recipe
Empanada is a Latin American preparation of stuffed pastry which is either deep fried or baked. The word empanada is derived from Spanish verb empanar, which means to wrap, or to coat in bread.
The basic preparation technique includes folding over a pastry sheet over a stuffing, which may consist of meat, corn and cheese among other ingredients. The first mention of empanada is found in the cuisine of Catalonia, as far back as the early 16th century.
Read ahead and discover for yourself this popular Latin American Preparation.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Chicken Empanadas - Recipe
- 500 grams chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 2 dried leaves
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions fine chopped
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and fine chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and fine chopped
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black peppercorn
- 2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 packets of puff pastry dough
Procedure of Preparation
- Add 2.5 cups of water, and bay leaves in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook chicken over a medium flame for about 30 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked.
- Keep chicken aside on a plate remove the bay leaves, and save the stock.
- Coarsely chop the chicken once it has cooled down.
- Heat oil in a pot over a medium flame. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until onion and bell peppers just begin to turn tender.
- Season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes. Further add paprika, cayenne, oregano. Cook for about 2 minutes with constant stirring.
- Add chicken stalk along with chicken. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, when most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer the contents into a bowl and refrigerate for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C.
- Arrange the pastry dough over a work surface. Keep the plastic divider sheet under the pastry sheet.
- Place about 2 tablespoon of the stuffing on the pastry sheet.
- Lightly brush water along the edges. Using the plastic divider, fold over the stuffing. Pinch at the edges to secure the stuffing. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Remove the plastic divider and place the empanada onto the baking tray.
- Bake the empanada for about 30 minutes, until they turn golden brown, and brown at the edges.
- Your empanada is ready to be served.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe