Chicken Satay - Indonesian Cuisine
Chicken satay is a grilled chicken preparation from Indonesia, served with select seasoning and sauce. Traditional satay preparation are cooked and served in organic skewers made from coconut palm or bamboo. A combination of soy sauce and peanut butter is called Satay sauce, which is the popular accompaniment served with the grilled preparation.
The origin of satay is traced to the island of Java, although it is acclaimed as the national dish of Indonesia, having gained popularity all over the country, as well as other parts of South East Asia.
Read ahead to discover the recipe for your culinary delight.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Chicken Satay Recipe - Food from Indonesia
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon pureed tomato
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and fine chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine fine ground cumin
- 4 skinless chicken breast pieces cut into cubes
- 2 medium sized onion, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoon chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Juice from whole lemon
- 1 cup water
Procedure of Preparation
- The preparation commences with stirring in the marinade. In a medium sized mixing bowl add the soy sauce, pureed tomato, a table spoon of cooking oil to go with the dry spices, namely - ground pepper, cumin and a third of the minced garlic. Whisk the marinade mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken cubes into the bowl and make sure that the pieces are uniformly coated in the marinade.
- Refrigerate to a maximum of 2 hours. Too much of time in marination will make the chicken too dark.
- Heat the rest of the cooking oil in a shallow frying pan. Saute the onions and the remaining garlic until the onions turn to a rich shade of golden brown. Add water, soy sauce, peanut butter and sugar. Cook the mix over a medium flame for about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir constantly and assure that the mix attains a smooth consistency. Remove pan from heat, add lime juice to the prepared mix and keep aside.
- Oil brush the grill grate. Skewer the chicken cubes and grill each side for about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill skewers about 5 minutes per side, until chicken juices run clear. Servechicken satay with the peanut sauce.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe