Chicken Waterzooi – Belgian Recipe
Our preparation for today is chicken stew from Belgium. Waterzooi find its origin in northern Belgium, also referred to as Flanders, while the name of the preparation could be said to have dutch origin, and refers to the boiling of the ingredients.
The dish is often referred to as Gentse Waterzooi, owing to its origin associated with the town of Gentse in Belgium. The preparation was originally meant to be based on fish, however chicken is a popular substitute in the modern times. As legends have it, the rivers around the town of Gentse become too polluted, leading to the death of all the fishes. Read ahead for the full recipe.
Prakrti Products – Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Chicken Waterzooi – Recipe
- 2 fresh leeks
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 4 skinless, boneless breast pieces of chicken
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 large onion, fine chopped
- About 5 cups of chicken broth
- 200 grams of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- Yolk of 1 egg
- Fresh parsley, fine chopped
Procedure of Preparation
- Chop the leeks into fine slices.
- Fine chop the carrots and celery.
- Slice the breast pieces into convenient pieces
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Cook the veggies along with onion.
- Cook with constant stirring for about 10 minutes. Make sure that the ingredients are tender.
- Add chicken stock, making sure that the ingredients are just immersed in the liquid.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil over a medium to high flame.
- Add the slices of chicken breasts. Cook under cover for about 20 minutes. Make sure that chicken pieces are thoroughly poached.
- Remove the chicken pieces and keep them warm.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cream, egg yolk and cornstarch.
- To prepare the waterzooi, add the contents of the mixing bowl to sauce pan.
- Add more chicken stalk in order to attain the desired consistency.
- Cook with constant stirring, ensuring that the waterzooi is of the required consistence.
- Add chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in soup bowls. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.
Prakrti Blog – Tips and Recipe