A cheesecake is a layered dessert, with the principal layer consisting of fresh, delicate cheese, mostly cream cheese or ricotta, mixed with eggs and sugar. The crust usually is usually made from crushed biscuits or crackers. Fresh fruits, nuts and whipped cream are the common toppings to go with this classic preparation of cheese cake.
The sweetening of cheese with honey is a tradition which is as old as that of making cheese itself. The first mention of cheesecake could be traced back to the texts of Greek physician Aegimus in 5th century BC. With the conquest of Greece by the Romans, this delicate sweetmeat gained in popularity in the western world.
Pumpkin, chestnut, chocolate, Oreo among others are the common variations to the original cheesecake. What we present for you in this extract is an elaborate recipe for the classic cheesecake.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Buy export quality Whole Spices, Robusta Coffee Beans, assorted Green Coffee Beans, choicest GreenTea, Jumbo Cashew Nuts and a collection of Raisins
You can also find us at Amazon India
Classic Cheesecake - Recipe
- 5 tablespoon salt-free butter
- 50 grams of sugar
- 10-12 salt-free crackers
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 kilogram cream cheese
- 300 grams of granulated cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sour cream
Procedure of Preparation
- Add crackers to a blender or a food processor. Make fine crumbs out of the crackers. Melt the salt free butter and add to the cracker crumbs. Add salt and sugar.
- Further blend into a uniform texture.
- Press the crust mixture to the bottom of a baking pan. Maintain a thickness of about 1” at the sides.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the mix sets. Let the baked crust cool down on a cooling rack and keep aside.
- The next step includes the preparation of the filling. Beat the cream cheese, preferably using a mechanized blender. Make sure that the cream cheese attains a fluffy texture. Scrape along the sides.
- Slowly add the sugar. Whisk until a fluffy texture is attained. Beat in salt and lemon juice and zest. Add eggs one at a time, followed by sour cream. Beat continuously for a uniform mix.
- Pour out the filling mix over the crust. Place the baking pan in a boiling water bath. Put the complete setup in the oven and bake for about 90 minutes, or until the filling mix sets in.
- Slice and serve with a topping of choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe