Classic Prawn Cocktail
The prawn cocktail, or the shrimp cocktail is a seafood preparation whose principal ingredients are cooked prawns and a cocktail sauce. The preparation is usually served in cocktail glass or a champagne saucer. The dish gained popularity as a starter, or a hors d'œuvre during the 60’s. while it was introduced to the Americans some time during the 80’s. As English food writer, Nigel Slater describes it, the shrimp cocktail, "has spent most of (its life) see-sawing from the height of fashion to the laughably passé" and is now often served with a degree of irony.”
The invention of the prawn cocktail in the UK is credited to television chef Fanny Cradock sometime during the 60’s. However, in all probability Fanny Cradock would have played his humble role in making popular a recipe which was unknown to the British masses before her times.
Read on ahead and find the elaborate recipe for the classic prawn cocktail as we have experienced it.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Classic Prawn Cocktail - Recipe
- 500 grams of school prawns; peeled, washed and cooked
- 1 iceberg lettuce fine diced
- 4 tablespoon full of mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoon full of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon of fresh cream
- 1/2 cup grated horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- Lemon juice
- Paprika dusting
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoon of green onions, fine chopped
- Salt to taste
Procedure of Preparation
- Place the shredded lettuce on the base of a champagne saucer or a cocktail glass.
- Arrange the prawns over the lettuce. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.
- In order to prepare the cocktail sauce, mix all the mentioned ingredients. Whisk thoroughly. Add lime juice and salt according to taste preferences.
- Dole out spoon-fulls of the sauce over the prawn. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve with accompaniment of choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe