Cloves are the aromatic flower buds of a tree and is a spice widely used in the African, Asian, and Middle eastern cuisines. It is also used widely in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine to treat a wide variety of issues and dental problems.
Cloves have been found stored as far back as 1721 BCE in ancient Syria and also it was known that Chinese leaders in the 3rd century BCE required those who addressed them to chew cloves before approaching them to freshen their breath.
Cloves have their unique flavour due to the presence of a compound called Eugenol, which has a very strong aroma. This compound is what provides their uniquely warm, sweet and aromatic taste.
Some of the benefits of Cloves are:
- Cloves help to promote better digestion by stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes.
- Cloves have been tested and found to be quite effective as anti bacterial agent against a number of human pathogens.
- Cloves are a extremely effective treatment for toothaches due to their anti inflammatory and analgesic properties which help to reduce swelling around the area and relieve pain.
- Cloves also help to prevent bad breath due to their anti septic nature which eliminates the bacteria in the mouth. It also helps to clean the decaying matter from the tongue, palate and upper part of the throat.
- Cloves are also known to boost the immune system and provide protection to the liver as they contain high amounts of antioxidants and also help in increasing the white blood cell count.
Do you know any more facts and benefits of Cloves? please do leave your comments below, we would love to hear from you.
You can buy our amazing aromatic whole cloves here.