Dal Makhni - Punjabi Cuisine
Dal Makhni is an extremely popular preparation from punjab, across borders, in both India and Pakisthan.
Whole black lentils and red kidney beans are the base ingredients, around which the flavors are built. Fresh cream and butter are the ingredients which add the typical richness to the preparation.
Although a quintessential Punjabi dish, dal makhani slowly came to be recognized as an outright Indian preparation, after made popular by the Punjabi diaspora, post partition of India.Find the full recipe ahead.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Dal Makhni - Recipe
- 150 grams of black whole lentils
- 50 grams of red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons of whole cumin seeds
- 6-7 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2” knob of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 100 grams of fresh cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 plump tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
Procedure of Preparation
- Soak the black lentils and kidney beans overnight, in sufficient water.
- Boil the lentils and kidney beans, along with salt, red chili powder, and an inch of ginger knob. Make sure that the lentils and kidney beans are tender.
- Fine chop onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes.
- Heat cooking oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium flame. Add whole cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add onions and stir fry until the onions turn a rich shade of golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic followed by tomatoes. Toss the ingredients constantly, until the tomatoes become mushy, and the fat begins to separate and rise.
- Stir in the lentils and beans with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mash the ingredients into an uniform consistency.
- Add the stock liquid, and simmer over a low flame for about 15 minutes. Add extra water if required.
- Add garam masala. Stir in fresh cream. Cook the ingredients for another minutes.
- Mix in kasuri methi powder.
- Serve with an accompaniment of choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe