Delicious Falafel - Middle Eastern Cuisine
Falafel is a round patty made from chick peas, deep fried and served in a pita bread along with salad dressings, pickles and sauce. Predominant among the sauces are hummus - a selectively flavored chick peas puree, or tahini - made from toasted white sesame.
Falafel originally is a traditional middle eastern snack, a common street food and a popular substitute for meat balls the world over. The avant-garde vegan culture has embraced the preparation with open arms.
The dish although is said to have originated in Egypt,in the times of the Pharoh, where it was prepared by the Copts, earliest known Arab Christian, who ate falafel specially during the time of lent. It was then prepared with fava beans, before spreading north, where chickpeas replaced the white fava beans.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Buy export quality Whole Spices, Robusta Coffee Beans, assorted Green Coffee Beans, choicest GreenTea, Jumbo Cashew Nuts and a collection of Raisins
You can also find us at Amazon India
- 500 grams of dry chickpeas
- 1 medium sized onion chopped coarsely
- 1 parsley stalk chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoon corn flour or chickpeas flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 inch whole cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon fine ground green cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Procedure of Preparation
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in water. Drain water and keep aside.
- In a heavy duty blender or food processor add the chickpeas, with the rest of the ingredients except the baking powder cooking oil.
- Run the grinder for enough time so that the spices are ground, and the chickpeas have a coarse texture. It should not have a very smooth texture, as that would make the preparation close to hummus.
- Refrigerate the ground mix for at least 2 hours before commencing with the frying.
- Before frying you may add a teaspoon of baking powder, slightly diluted in water to the refrigerated chickpeas mix. The baking powder will give a fluffy texture to your falafel.
- Make the patties into desired shape and deep fry them in vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Serve the falafel stuffed inside the pita bread, together with salad dressings and sauce of choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe