This is an amazing biryani recipe that is worth the time and effort it take to make it as it is extremely aromatic and will have your family licking their fingers.
- Protein - 1 kg (Can use either of the following: Chicken, mutton, Fish or Vegetables & Paneer)
- Basmati Rice – ½ kg
- Garlic – 2 pods (not cloves, whole pods) – skin, peel and smash it
- Ginger – 2 inch piece – skin, cut and smash it
- Green chilies – 10 pieces - cut and smash it
- Green chilies – 6 pieces - slit in the middle but not all the way through to ensure most of the seeds remain inside.
- Tomatoes – 8 to 10 medium ripe cut into small pieces
- Cashew nuts or Almonds – 15 to 18 pieces smashed into a paste
- Onion – 2 big sized onions
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Cloves – 6 to 8 pieces
- Whole Cinnamon – 2 pieces of 2 inches
- Whole Cardamom – 8 to 10 pieces of whole cardamom
- Bay leaves – 2
- Black cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Ghee – 4 tablespoon
- Cooking oil - 6 tablespoon
- Saffron – few strands to be soaked in little bit of warm milk
- Curds – 200 grams
- Coriander leaves – a fist full
- Salt to taste
- Dum flour paste – mix flour and water and mix till you reach a sticky thick clay paste consistency.
- Have 8 to 10 cups of water in a large cooking vessel kept on a flame to boil the water. When the water is warm yet not stared boiling add the following:
- Slit green chillies (the smashed green chillies will be used later)
- Whole Cloves
- Whole cardamom
- Whole Cinnamon
- Bay leaves
- Salt 4 teaspoons
- While the water is warming up, wash the rice and clean it to reduce the starchiness of the rice. Add the washed rice to the water once it has reached a rolling boil.
- Wait till two good boils after the rice is add or until the rice is one fourth to half cooked, then drain the rice and spices in a colander.
- Put another large cooking vessel on the flame and add the oil and ghee and wait till it heats up properly, once heated up add the onions and fry them till they are almost brown ensuring you continuously stir.
- Add the smashed ginger and garlic to the onions and keep stirring for a minute after which add the cut tomatoes.
- Keep stirring everything till it reaches a paste like consistency and then add the turmeric and coriander powder and keep stirring till incorporated.
- Add your 1 kg of protein consisting of what you have chosen between chicken, mutton, fish or vegetables & paneer and fry it while continuously stirring.
- After a few minutes add the smashed chilies, cashew nut/almond paste, and curd and mix well. Taste the masala and adjust salt as required.
- Add your coriander leaves and then from the colander add the rice and whole spice mixture on top of the mixture present in the vessel.
- Pour all over the rice the saffron and milk mixture and then put the lid on top of the vessel. Seal the edges of the lid with the vessel using the Dum flour paste ensuring there is no outlet for the steam to escape and then add a weight on top of the lid to ensure a tight seal.
- Cook for one hour till the aroma pervades the kitchen and then take off the flame. Crack open the Dum seal and transfer the biryani into a serving tray and enjoy!
Do try this recipe and share your thoughts with us below and share with us your recipe of biryani in the comments below.