Fish and Chips
Fish and chips traditionally finds its origin in England. Potato chips and fish fried in batter is now a common takeaway, which made its first appearance in the culinary scene of England in the mid 1800’s and by the early 1900’s had become favorite of the common man.
The concept of fried fish was first brought by Western Shepardic Jews, who first settled down in England in the 17th century. The boom in the trawl fishing in the north sea, and the emergence of the railways, connecting the land masses, may be sighted to be the 2 important factors which made fish and chips the staple meal of the working class since its emergence. Read ahead for the recipe.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India. Don’t forget to leave us a review.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep
Fish and Chips - Recipe
- 50 grams plain all purpose flour
- 50 grams of cornflour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 75 ml lager beer
- 75 ml sparkling water
- 1 liter of sunflower oil for frying
- 400 gram fillets of firm white fish, cut into halves
- 1 kg of potato, washed, peeled and cut into thick chips
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoon sunflower
Procedure of Preparation
- In a mixing bowl add the all purpose flour, cornflour, baking powder and turmeric powder.
- Gently add the beer and water into the bowl, stirring constantly into a smooth consistency.
- Allow the mix to rest for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the chips.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C.
- In a large pot bring to boil water. Add the potatoes and cook over a medium flame for about 3 to 4 minutes until the potatoes begin to get tender on the outside.
- Drain the potatoes and tip over onto a baking tray.
- Add flour oil and salt.
- Toss around the potatoes gently, until there is an even coating of the mixture on the potatoes.
- Roast them for about 30 minutes, flipping them over at times, so that the chips are golden brown and evenly cooked.
- In order to cook the fish, thoroughly heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Pat the fish fillets dry.
- Rub on the surface turmeric and flour and dip in the batter.
- Very gently add the fish into the hot oil and deep fry for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Make sure that the fish turns into a rich shade of golden brown from the outside.
- Serve fish and chips with sauces of your choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe