Homemade Ginger Candy
Ginger is the rhizome roots obtained from the long stemmed, thin leaved perennial plant in the Zingiberaceae family.
Its medicinal properties finds application in countless traditional practices. Ginger possesses very strong anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidative and anti-microbial properties, for which it could be implemented as a common remedy to inflammations and oxidative damages to the body. It is classified as a warming agent by Ayurveda, which makes ginger extremely effective in the treatment of metabolic disorders.
In the culinary world, ginger is extensively used for its fresh, peppery flavor. Its unique taste is used to flavor innumerable products, which range from savories, curries and main course to beverages. Find below the recipe for homemade ginger candy. This DIY toffee will have your guests talking about your newly acquired culinary skill. Stock up your fridge with some ginger candies and get the compliments rolling.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Available at Prakrti Online Store - Dry Ginger
Ginger Candy Recipe
- 500 grams of dried ginger
- 500 grams of granular sugar
- Greasing agent
Method of Preparation
- Wash and peel the ginger before cutting it into thin slices.
- Boil the sliced ginger over a medium flame for about 30minutes, or until it becomes completely tender.
- Drain the excess water. Keep aside about 1 cup of the cooking water for the sugar syrup.
- Measure the sugar and add it to the ginger along with the cooking water into a sauce pan.
- Keep stirring the contents of the pan constantly, while you cook them over a low flame.
- The sugar should completely melt and begin to recrystallize on the surface of ginger.
- Turn the heat off and let the contents of the pan cool down.
- Transfer the ginger candies on a greased cooling tray and let them completely cool down. The individual ginger slices should separate and fall apart.
- Store in an air-tight jar and refrigerate.