Rajasthani Laal Maans – Red Meat Curry
Laal mans in hindi means red meat. The preparation belongs to Rajasthan, India. The dish is prepared in an assortment of hot spices, and has rich aroma and taste. The preparation we present for you uses kachri powder. Kachri is a vegetables which belongs to the cucumber family, found in Rajasthan. It is dried and ground to impart a tangy flavor to preparations.
Traditionally the recipe was meant exclusively for wild game meat, like deer and boar, where the addition of chilies was meant to cut out the odour of the wild game.
The preparation was very popular among the royals. The exuberant flavor of the preparation has been carried out through the ages, while the game meat has been replaced by tender lamb meat. Read ahead for the complete recipe.
Prakrti Products – Online Store
Find us at Amazon India. Don’t forget to leave us a review.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep
Rajasthani Laal Maans – Recipe
- 2 small onions, fine chopped
- 2 fresh, green chilies fine chopped
- About 20 red chilies
- 2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 cup nustard oil
- 2 inch ginger knob, fine chopped
- 200 ml mustard oil
- 8 large cloves of garlic, fine chopped
- 500 grams of lamb meat, chopped with bones
- Salt as per taste
- 50 grams of kachri powder
- 1 teaspoon, fresh ground pepper
- 4 pods of green cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- Mace trimmings
- 1 pod of black cardamom
- Cilantro leaves, fine chopped
Procedure of Preparation
- Dry roast the chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds on a pan over a medium flame.
- Roast until the spices emit their fragrance. Ground the toasted spices into a fine powder.
- Heat mustard oil on a pan, and add the ginger and garlic.
- Add the meat, once the garlic turns slightly golden.
- Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add kachri powder, followed by chopped onions. Mix well
- Once the onions are tender, add the whole spices - green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon, mace trimmings. Mix well.
- Add the ground red chilli mix and mix well.
- Add enough water for the lamb to cook. Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, and strain the gravy. Remove the whole spices, and add the meat.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water, and let the preparation simmer, with closed lid for about half hour.
- Serve Steaming hot, with an accompaniment of choice.
Prakrti Bog – Tips and Recipe