Recipe for Homemade Sloppy Joes
A Sloppy Joe is made from ground meat, cooked with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mixed with other seasoning of choice and served in a hamburger bun. If you were to go through American cookbooks from the early 20th century, you will come across a number of preparation with different names which resemble a sloppy Joe. Chopped Meat Sandwiches and Toasted Devilled Hamburger among other names.
According to some much revered researchers at Carnegie Library, the origins of Sloppy Joes is related to the loose meat sandwiches sold at Sioux city, Iowa during the 1930’s. Our version of the preparation is as close to the original, as it can get. Read ahead and discover for yourself the preparation.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India. Don’t forget to leave us a review.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep
Sloppy Joes - Recipe
- 700 grams of extra lean grounded meat
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic fine chopped
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Procedure of Preparation
- Add the ground meat and onions in a large frying pan. Cook for about 10 minutes on a medium flame until meat forms into small crumbs.
- Add garlic and capsicum. Mix thoroughly. Cook with constant stirring for about 2 minutes, until the capsicum begins to soften.
- Add 1 cup of water, and mix thoroughly. Scrape the pan bottom.
- Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Add another cup of water. Let the preparation simmer over a low flame for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally. Make sure that the water has dried up.
- Serve in hamburger bun. Season with salt, fresh ground pepper and cayenne pepper.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe