Kokum - The Tamrind of the West Coast
Kokum, or Kakam or Kudampalli is a spice which is derived from the dried rind of the fruit obtained from a flowering plant in the mangosteen family. Garcinia indica is the scientific name of the plant. While the spice is a popular ingredient in the cuisine of the region, the fruit with its sweet and sour taste is also extensively consumed. So much so that kokum is popularly known as the Malabar tamarind.
Kokum juice is a popular drink during the summers and could be chanced upon both commercially, as well as in households, all over the west coast of India. Find below the recipe for kokum juice. Treat yourself to this exotic beverage and usher in the goodness of nature bestowed upon this fruit, into your lives.
Prakrti Blog: Why Kokum is Know as The Malabar Tamarind
Preparation of Kokum Juice:
- 1 Cup of fresh Kokum fruit. If unavailable it may also be substituted with dried kokum.
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered Cardamom
Whole Green Cardamom - Available at Prakrti Online Store
- 1 tablespoon powdered Cinnamon
Whole Cinnamon Sticks - Available at Prakrti Online Store
- 1 teaspoon dry, roasted, powdered Cumin
- Black salt to taste
Procedure for Kokum Juice:
- Rinse and remove the seeds from the fruit before mashing it into a pulp. In case you have dried kokum at your disposal, then you may have to soak the spice in water for three to four hours before proceeding.
- Fine blend the kokum in a grinder, adding little water, till the mixture attains a viscous consistency.
- Strain the mixture and keep aside the filtered syrup.
- Boil water in a pot and add sugar. Keep the solution on heat till it is reduced to a thick consistency.
- Add the kokum extracts to the sugar concentrate and mix well.
- Add the powdered spices. ( Cardamom, Cinnamon and Cumin )
- Store in a bottle and keep the solution in refrigerator.
- While serving the juice, add one part of the sherbet solution to three parts of water.
- Add ice and serve chilled
Prakrti Online Store: Dried Kokum, sourced directly from the Malabar coast, made available at your door step in eco-friendly packaging. Choose from a variety of payment options.
Find us at Amazon India