Rendang - Indonesian Cuisine
Rendang is a spicy preparation of meat which finds its origins in Indonesia, among the ethnic group known as Minangkabau. However the dish is gained acceptance across the entire country. Rendang is considered to be among the popular traditional preparations of Minangkabau culture, especially cooked in ceremonies, and to honor guests.
Also a popular preparation among the Malay people, popular norms categorizes the dish as a curry. Not so the case among the people of Indonesia due to its rich and thick gravy.
Read ahead for the recipe.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India. Don’t forget to leave us a review.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep
Rendang - Recipe
- 200 grams of shallots
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 12 - 15 dried red chilli pepper
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger root
- 4 - 5 stalks of lemon grass, fine chopped
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 500 grams of stew meat, cut into inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon of white granulated sugar
- 2 cups of grated coconut
- 4 - 5 whole cloves
- 1 cup of concentrated coconut milk
- 2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 cup of water
- Salt as per your taste
Procedure of Preparation
- Heat the coconut in dry frying pan, with constant stirring, until it turns a rich shade of golden brown. Keep aside for it to cool down.
- Blend together shallots, garlic, chilies, ginger and lemon grass. Blend into a paste of thick consistency.
- Grind together coriander seeds, fennel, cumin and nutmeg.
- In about half a teaspoon of cooking oil, fry the shallot paste for about 2 minutes.
- Add the freshly ground spices. Cook for the next 4 minutes with constant stirring.
- Add the meat and cook for about 5 minutes over a medium flame until the meat is browned.
- Add sugar, coconut, coconut milk, cloves and cinnamon. Add water and mix thoroughly.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and cook them over a low flame for about 1 hour, until the gravy has thickened and the meat is tender.
- Add salt according to your taste, and sere with an accompaniment of your choice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe