Sandesh -Bengali Sweet Recipe
Sandesh or Shondesh is confectionery from the state of Bengal. This simple yet extremely popular savoury is prepared from one or the other dairy and a whole lot of sugar to go with some select spices. The version we have for you in this edition of our daily publication, we use a combination of cottage cheese and khoa, a form of milk concentrate. Depending on the specific region in the state, the preparation may include either or both ingredients.
Sandesh finds mention in numerous medieval texts from the region, yet the exact origin of the dessert is unknown. However, the initial recipes exclusively included solidified milk concentrate, or kheer. With time cottage cheese or chena was was included into the preparation. It is believed that the influx of the Portuguese culture might have in the 16th century would have lead to the introducton of cheese.
Read ahead and discover for yourself the complete procedure of preparation and required ingredients for this regional delicacy.
Prakrti Products -Tips and Recipe
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
- 400 grams fresh cottage cheese or paneer drained
- About 10 whole, large almonds julienne cut
- 10 pistachios julienne cut
- About 4 strands of saffron
- 1 tablespoon warm, whole milk to soak the strands of saffron
- 1/2 cup grated khoa or dried whole milk
- 1/2 cup fine ground sugar
- 4-6 green cardamom, seeds fine crushed
- 1/2 cup finely powdered sugar
Procedure of Preparation
- Blend together the cottage cheese, whole dried milk, soaked saffron and sugar. Blend into a smooth texture and uniform consistency.
- Make each sandesh with hand into a flat and circular shape.
- Top with julienne cut nuts.
- Refrigerate overnight and your sandesh is ready to serve.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe