Scotch Eggs – Prakrti Blog – English Cuisine
Scotch eggs is a hard-boiled egg, wrapped in a meat sausage mix, deep fried and served with a delectable dip.
A departmental store in London, which goes by the name of Fortnum and Mason, is said to have invented the preparation, as far back as 1738. The Nargisi Koftas of the Mughals is said to be the inspirational force, which led to the invention of this preparation. Read ahead for the recipe of this quintessentially British preparation.
Prakrti Products – Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Scotch Eggs with Curry Mayo – Recipe
- 10 eggs
- Iced water
- 500 grams of ground pork maet, with fat
- 1 large onion, grated
- Fresh sage, fine chopped
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 25 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 25 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 50 ml of chicken stock
- Cooking oil
- 200 grams of all-purpose flour
- 300 grams of breadcrumbs
- 100 grams of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
Procedure of preparation
- Bring to boil 500 ml of water in a medium sized saucepan. Gently add 8 eggs into the water, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon and transfer the eggs into iced water. This will bring the cooking process to a stop.
- Peel the eggs carefully, and keep aside.
- Mix together the herbs and spices with onion and pork. Mix thoroughly, preferably using a food processor.
- Add stock, and further mix. Make sure that the mix is emulsified, and of a sticky consistency. In the absence of a food blender, or a stand mixer, you have to whisk the mixture vigorously for about 5 minutes.
- Take about 50 grams of the mix and form into a thin, flat patty.
- Place a boiled egg in the center, and wrap the meat mix around it. Make sure that the boiled egg is completely covered in the mix. Moisten your palms, in case the meat mix is difficult to handle.
- Keep the wrapped eggs aside in a refrigerator.
- Heat cooking oil, over a high flame for deep frying.
- Dip the wrapped eggs in beat eggs, then flour, and bread crumb mix.
- Deep fry, and soak away the excess oil.
- For a curry and mayo dip, whisk together mayonnaise with curry powder.
Prakrti Blog – Tips and Recipe