We must utilize to the fullest the fresh fruits and vegetables of the season. They not only come for a cheaper price, but are also boosted with a higher percentage of the essential nutrients.
This tomato pickle is cooked with organic spices, has an irresistible sweet and sour taste, a thick and sticky texture, a bright orangish hue, sweet crunchy taste provided by the finely diced carrots, subtle hotness of garlic, and the exotic tastes and fragrance of whole spices. This preparation is a wholesome and nutritious substitute for commercial products.
When about 500 grams of fresh, ripe and seasonal tomatoes are used, you will get about 2 cups of the preparation. The total cooking times is about one and half hour, while the pickle could be stored up to one year when kept under refrigeration.
Prakrti Online Store
Buy export quality Whole Spices, Robusta Coffee Beans, assorted Green Coffee Beans, choicest Green Tea, and Jumbo Cashew Nuts
You can also find us at Amazon India
Amazing Tomato Pickle Recipe
- 500 grams - fresh, ripe, seasonal tomatoes bought in season
- 1 1/2 cup or 300 grams - sugar
- 1/4 cup or 100 grams - diced carrots
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 10 - 12 whole black peppercorns
- 3-4 whole cloves
- 1 whole black cardamom
- 1/2” knob of ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri dry chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon glacial acetic acid or 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 tablespoon almonds without skin
- Salt to taste
Procedure for Preparation
- Blanch the tomatoes, remove the skin and cut them into halves. Separate the juice and seeds from the tomato flesh.
- Filter the juice from the seeds and throw the seeds.
- Add sugar to the tomato juice and keep aside.
- Coarsely chop the flesh of the tomato into large pieces.
- On a hot pan add the tomato flesh, juice and sugar mix, chopped carrots, garlic, peppercorns, black cardamom, cloves, and ginger.
- Cook over a low flame for 40 to 45 minutes. The mix should reduce to half its original quantity and attain a thick consistency.
- Subsequently remove the mix from fire and allow it to completely cool down.
- Add the acetic acid and all the spices,including salt. Mix well.
- Keep in a bottle and store for up to 1 year under refrigeration.