Shrimp and Sausage - Classic Gumbo Recipe
The gumbo is a stewed preparation, which comes from the state of Louisiana, US. The popularity of the dish makes it the state dish of Louisiana. The ingredients and culinary techniques used in the preparation of the dish includes influences from a number of cuisines, which may include - French, German, Spanish, West African, Filipino and Choctaw.
The basic composition of dish includes a strongly flavored stock, meat or sea food of some kind, a thickner which in this case is ladies finger, and some more veggies - the holy trinity of vegetables as called in Louisiana - the combination of celery, bell peppers and onions.
Read on ahead and discover for yourself the recipe for this classic preparation.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Gumbo - Recipe
- 500 grams smoked sausage, sliced
- 2-4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 5 cup chicken stock
- 800 grams of plump tomatoes
- 100 ml of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large onion fine chopped
- 1 cup fine chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper coarsely chopped
- 3/2 cups sliced ladies finger
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 grams shrimps peeled
- 2 cups hot boiled rice
- Salt and pepper as per taste
Procedure of Preparation
- Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan. Cook the sausage slices over a medium flame until they turn brown. Keep the cooked sausages aside.
- In a large pot add the chopped tomatoes with chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let it cook over a medium flame.
- In a large saucepan add the 100 ml of oil with 1/2 cup all purpose flour. Cook over a medium flame with constant stirring. Cook until the roux starts to get brown in color.
- Add chopped onions, celery, red and yellow bell peppers. Cook with constant stirring until the the veggies become soft.
- Stir in the veggies and roux to the tomatoes and stock mix. Continue to cook over a medium flame.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in the saucepan. Cook the ladies fingers over a medium flame. Cook with constant stirring until the ladies finger turn a rich shade of brown.
- Add the cooked ladies finger to the simmering pot of ingredients.
- Add creole seasoning, bay leaf, and cooked sausage. Cover the pot and cook for the next 1 hour.
- Add the cooked shrimps and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste preference.
- Serve hot with rice.
Prakrti Blog - Online Store