Shrimp in Cream of Coconut - Prakrti Blog -Bengali Cuisine
This is a quintessential bengali preparation, called chingri malai curry. The shrimps are served in coconut milk, which is delectably flavored with chosen spices, typical to the cuisine of the land.
The preparation is popular through out the state, and served on noted occasions. The preparation is found dedicated admirers among the British, during the time of the Raj.
Read ahead for the preparation.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Shrimp in Cream of Coconut - Recipe
- 1 kilogram of medium to large shrimps
- Cooking oil
- 2 large onions
- Whole Cinnamon sticks
- 4 to 5 whole cloves
- 4 to 5 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin
- 2 inch knob of ginger
- 3 to 4 medium cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 2 tablespoons of clarified butter
- Fine chopped cilantro for garnish
Procedure of Preparation
- Thoroughly clean the shrimps in warm water. Marinate in salt and turmeric.
- Blend the onion, ginger and garlic into a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of clarified butter in a deep frying pan. Fry the prawns over a medium flame, as you toss them around, until they begin to turn a rich golden.
- Keep the fried shrimps aside.
- Heat the oil and add the whole spices. (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf)
- Further add paste of onions, ginger and garlic. Cook over a medium flame for the next 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the garam masala.
- Add coconut milk and water, according to the desired consistency of the gravy.
- Cook for the next 5 minutes over a medium flame.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve with steamed, white rice.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe