The recipe depicts the cuisine of the island province of Sicily. The cuisine of the region draws influence from a host of cultures, including Greek, French, Spanish and Arab among others, which has had its presence in the island in the two thousand years or so.
The Sicilian style spaghetti, is a warm, wholesome preparation, integrating basic flavors like only an islander can. Read ahead for the complete recipe.
Prakrti Products – Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Sicilian Spaghetti – Ricetta
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- Sprig of fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon full of dry oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon full of dry chili flakes
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of baby capers
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 400 grams of plum tomatoes, chopped
- 300 grams of wholewheat spaghetti
- 50 grams of hard Italian cheese used for pecrino
- Generous amount of Extra virgin olive oil
Procedure of Preparation
- Chop the egg plant. Place them in a sieve, sprinkle with salt and keep aside for 20 minutes. This is done to remove excessive moisture from the eggplants. Rinse and pat dry.
- Mince garlic cloves, basil sprig.
- Mix the eggplant with dry oregano leaves, chilli flakes, a drizzle of olive oil, further add salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Add a little olive oil in a frying pan, over a medium flame. Add the egg plant and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in some time, and make sure that they are tender.
- Add garlic, basil, capers. Cook until the garlic is golden.
- Add vinegar, tomatoes. Let the ingredients simmer over a low flame for about 20 minutes, until the gravy has a thick, shiny appearance.
- In a pot bring water to a boil. Add salt and cook the spaghetti over a medium flame for about 10 minutes. Make sure that the spaghetti is tender to eat, yet not over cooked.
- Drain the excessive water from, keep aside about 2 tablespoon of the water for the eggplant sauce.
- Add grated cheese, basil leaves to the eggplant sauce. Top with some extra virgin olive oil. Add seasoning as per taste.
- Add spaghetti and mix by tossing the ingredients together.
- Divide the spaghetti into serving bowls, and top with extra cheese.
Prakrti Blog – Tips and Recipe