South African Pickled Fish Curry
The South African pickled fish curry, or the cape pickled fish curry is also known as Kaapse kerrievis in the local dialects. The preparation requires that the fish is marinated and kept in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 days. The dish implements the use of African curry powder, which consists of a mixture of ground dried ginger and garlic, ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds, ground turmeric, cayenne pepper and hot chilli powder. The Indian version of the curry powder is a much more elaborate affair and includes close to 20 different spices and herbs. If you are unable to get your hands on the African version of the curry powder, then we recommend that you improvise rather than using the Indian version of it.
Read on ahead and get the complete recipe for the South African pickled fish curry.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Cape Picked Fish - Recipe
- 500 grams fish fillets with white firm flesh
- 2 medium sized onions fine diced
- 1 teaspoon African curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger peeled and crushed thoroughly in a mortar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 60ml brown vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon of corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Procedure for Preparation
- Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Bake the fish at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes until it is thoroughly cooked. Cut the fillets into smaller pieces.
- Heat about 2 tablespoon of oil in a deep frying pan. Add the onions and saute over a medium flame until they turn a rich golden brown.
- Add the crushed ginger and cook for a couple of minutes,
- Add curry powder, ground dried turmeric and ground coriander. Mix thoroughly.
- Add brown vinegar and water and bring the mix to a simmer on a high flame.
- Add brown sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Mix the cornflour with equal proportion of water and combine into a paste. Stir in the cornflour paste and cook the sauce until it acquires a thick and uniform consistency.
- Let the sauce cool down.
- Place the pieces of fish in an air-tight container and cover with the sauce.
- Marinade the fish in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Serve with fresh baked bread.
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe