Springfield Cashew Chicken
Traditional cashew chicken is a stir fried preparation, in which pieces of tender chicken, assorted vegetables and cashew nuts are tossed in a sauce of choice. Read on ahead the recipe of Crisp Fried Chicken and Tossed Vegetables and Cashew Nuts.
The version of the preparation that we present for you on this day traces its association with the city of Springfield, Missouri.
The preparation was first served at the Grove Supper Club in Springfield in the year 1963. The recipe was an invention of chef David Leong, a Chinese immigrant in the US from the 1940’s, who was on a mission to gain acceptance of the Chinese cuisine to the American taste. The deep fried chicken brought an upward swing in the chef’s fortune, and eventually lead to the opening of the Leong’s Tea House in Springfield. The popularity of the dish over the years has made it the unofficial state dish.
Prakrti Products - Online Store
Find us at Amazon India.
Browse through our online store [www.prakrti.co.in/collections/spices] for our collection of choicest spices.
Also find our range of Coffee Tea, Green Coffee, Green Tea and Cashew Nuts.
We provide you with export grade quality at competitive prices, delivered to your doorstep.
Springfield Cashew Chicken - Recipe
- 500 ml vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 kilogram skinless, boneless chicken breast pieces
- 4 tablespoon cornflour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 cup chopped spring onion
Procedure of Preparation
Prakrti Blog - Tips and Recipe
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add to it 2 tablespoon water and mix well.
- Sift flour and keep aside in a large bowl.
- Cut the chicken into medium sized cubes.
- Dip the chicken in beaten eggs and roll over flour. Make sure that the chicken cubes are completely covered in flour.
- Heat the oil in a wide frying pan. Gently fry the chicken in small batches. Make sure that outer covering is a rich golden brown and the chicken is thoroughly cooked to tender white.
- Remove the chicken, draining excess oil using a perforated spoon and keep aside. In the same manner deep fry the rest of the chicken.
- In a cooking pot whisk together the corn starch with chicken stock. Mix in oyster sauce and fresh ground white pepper. Simmer over a medium flame for about 4 minutes until the attains an uniform and thick consistency.
- Pour the sauce over fried chicken. Top with cashews and spring onions.
- Serve steaming with an accompaniment of choice.