Star Anise is a spice harvested from the Illicium verum tree which is a medium-sized evergreen tree and is a very curious spice to say the least.
90% of the world's star anise crop is used for extraction of shikimic acid, a chemical intermediate used in the synthesis of oseltamivir which is an anti-influenza drug, hence star anise is mostly used for medical reasons and not cooking.
Other than the above medical benefit it provides, there are other advantages also:
- It has powerful Anti-fungal properties - This was tested and findings publlished by South Korean researchers in Dec 2010.
- Very strong Antibacterial properties - in 2010, Taiwanese researchers found that antimicrobial compounds derived from star anise were very effective against nearly 70 strains of drug resistant bacteria.
- Helps improve digestion - Making a tea out of star anise and consuming it after a meal helps with bloating, gas, indigestion and constipation. This practices is mainly followed in South East Asian countries and China.
- Helps treat your cough and has several antioxidant properties - A star anise tea is also a good remedy for severe coughs and helps cleanse the body.
HOW TO MAKE STAR ANISE TEA
To make star anise tea follow these simple instructions:
- Boil your water and pour it into a teapot.
- Add 2 star anise seed pods for each cup of water and allow it to seep for up to 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a cup and add some honey or sugur to taste.
- Drink after each meal if you are trying to deal with a digestive problem or a cough.
You can buy our excellent quality Star anise here.
Please feel free to leave your comments below.